The Department assists its students in obtaining jobs. The assistance includes editorial advice on the job market paper and vita, training on presentation skills and practice interviews. The Placement Director coordinates the activity. Each year a timetable is issued that indicates the key dates.
The vitae of job market candidates are disseminated by the department on its website. Candidates also prepare a personal web page. See the Placement section of the Goals for Dissertation Year Students section of our website for practical information on preparing vitae and personal websites.
Students on the job market should inform the Placement Director of their preferred positions, any constraints they face, the state of their negotiations, and their acceptance of job offers. The Placement Director is a resource for advice.
The department provides training to students on the job market. In addition to presentations and mock interviews with faculty and peers, we engage a job market consultant to provide coaching on presentation and interview skills.
Use the following instructions to create your vita.
- Click on the MS Word file vita.doc and open it in MS Word or download it to your computer.
- Or, download a LaTeX zip folder. Make sure all files are downloaded to the same folder. (See a sample PDF.)
- Edit as appropriate and fill in between the **s or replace the XX's. Be sure to edit the header, too, not only the main text.
- Delete any sections that are not appropriate.
- In the Word file, double click on the header on page 2 and insert your first and last name.
- Carefully proofread.
- Save the file for yourself.
- Convert the Word document you just created into PDF format.
- Save it with the title "Download Vita (PDF).pdf"
- Post on your personal job market web site (see instructions below).
The job market website includes information about each candidate (CV, website, photo and contact information).
We need some information to build the Department's job market homepage. This provides information on your field(s) and allows links to your e-mail address, web page, and the e-mail addresses of your references. Submit to email@example.com the following attachments
- A PDF of your vita
- The photograph you are using on your personal website
Please also complete the Job Market questionnaire.
Preparing your personal website
Job market candidates should set up individual pages on Northwestern's NUSites platform.
To maintain a uniform appearance for our job market candidates, you must use our standard template for your homepage.Back to top